How To: Dress in Law School


Although every law school is different, gone are the days when you can throw your hair into a bun, slip on an oversized sorority shirt with Nike shorts or leggings, and call it a day. It's important to remember that law school is a professional school, so you can't show up looking like you just rolled out of bed.

This post will focus on how to dress in law school and not wardrobe essentials. I will cover this in another post but for now I will focus on what to wear everyday in law school.

One way to describe how to dress in law school is what my sorority called "Snappy Casual." Whenever the executive board would want us to look decent they would tell us to dress "snappy casual," and I think that is a good rule to apply to law school as well. So what do I mean by "snappy casual?" It's easy: have at least two of the three done. This includes at least two of the following: cute outfit (preferably jeans), hair done (whether that be straightened or curled, or if you are blessed with naturally great hair, neither), or make-up done (not a full face like you're going out, but a natural look).

Typically, on the days that I have more classes, I will have my hair and make-up done and also wear a cute outfit. On days when I have two or less classes, I will have both hair and make-up done, but won't dress as cute. On these days, I'll likely wear leggings and a sweatshirt.

On days when I "dress up," I usually wear jeans or leggings, boots or sandals, and a cute shirt or sweater. I'm a big fan of wearing cardigans over a nice shirt or tank top, especially because my school can be very cold sometimes. Here are just some of the cardigans I love from Altar'd State:

            

For tops, I'm a huge fan of Express Portofino Shirts. I love these because you can dress them up or dress them down. I have these in about 5 different colors and wear them at least once a week.

I mean, aren't these just the cutest! They look great under a suit for an interview, with dress pants for a networking session, or with jeans for class. See all of the color options here: Express Original Fit Portofino Shirt.

I also love wearing vests to school. They're cute, but also keep you comfortable and warm. In my somewhat-Southern girl opinion, vests are even cuter if you monogram them!

A nice, casual dress is great for those days when you want to look put together with minimal effort. I'm a big fan of this shift dress from Lulu's:
But if prints are more your style, Francesca's has some great options like the ones below:












Some other good stores to shop at for law school clothes are Old Navy and H&M. Target has some good finds too, depending on the time of year.   

Finally, there may be some times when you have to wear a suit to law school, perhaps for orientation or for an interview in the middle of the day. Ann Taylor and Express both have great suit options. The most important aspect of a suit is making sure it fits you well and that you feel comfortable in it.

Well, this is my last post for 2017, and I will see you all in the New Year. I wish all of my readers Happy Holidays and hope you are enjoying some down time with friends and family.     



UPDATE: Check out my latest fashion post- Wardrobe Essentials. PS, thanks for making this my most popular post ever!!

Comments

Popular Posts