How to Not Get Sick in Law School


Last week I missed my posts (moot court got the best of me!), but to make up for it, I am posting today and will post twice on Thursday. Then I will be back to my normal posting schedule.

Fall has just started, and that means that flu season is right around the corner. In fact, something has already been going around at my law school. I have been lucky to never get the flu or any disease like that during law school or college, and I hope to continue this lucky streak. I wanted to share with you some of the things I do to make sure I don't get sick.

Get the Flu Shot- I hate needles, but I hate being sick even more. If you are able to get the flu shot, please do. Especially after the deadly strains of flu that went around last year, it is very important to take this easy step to help prevent yourself and others from getting sick. The very first thing I did this fall break was go and get my flu shot.

Wash my Hands- This is very obvious, but sometimes, in law school, obvious things are not so obvious. If people are sick around you, one of the easiest things you can do to protect yourself is to make sure you wash your hands.

Keep Vitamin C Around- I ALWAYS keep a bottle of vitamin C around. If I ever start to feel a little under the weather or know that something is going around school, I will take vitamin C once or twice a day just to boost up my immune system. You can also keep some Emergen-C or Airborne around if that is more your taste.

Keep Medicine Just in Case- I also always keep some kind of cold and flu medicine around too (I prefer DayQuil and NyQuil LiquiCaps). That way, if I do start to feel a little sick, I will take it right away and nip the flu/cold in the butt before it really hits.

Eat Somewhere "Safe"- In the middle of flu season, when it seems everyone at school is sick, I either eat lunch at home or at my carrel (which I know no one else uses). That way germs are less likely to be around when I'm eating.

Eat Right, Drink Water, and Work Out- Law school is tough and we often let our physical well being go, which can lead to a compromised immune system. Especially when you add the stress of school, law students' immune systems can be very compromised, making it easier for us to get sick than other people. However, eating right, drinking plenty of water, working out, and reducing stress can make your immune system stronger and more likely to fight off attacks from germs and viruses.

Finally, if I don't feel good, I'll stay home from class. I haven't had to do this yet, but if I really am sick, I won't be in class. I won't be able to focus, and I'm only putting other students at risk. It's not worth it to go to class, especially when I can get the notes from my professor or a friend.

Staying healthy isn't rocket science, but it is something that easily gets overlooked in law school. Do yourself and your classmates a favor and take care of yourself. Obviously, you can't guarantee that you won't get sick, but if you take some of these steps, you have a better chance of not catching the flu!


Comments

Popular Posts