What to do the Summer before Your 1L Year



My second post of the day is an introduction to my newest post series: 1L Prep Series. This summer, most of my posts will focus on preparing new law students for their 1L year. These posts will be based on my own experience, as well as some tried and true law student advice. To kick off the series, today's post is about the summer before your 1L year.

A common question from soon-to-be 1Ls is what to do the summer before law school. Many people have suggestions and their own opinion about the best way to spend the summer before law school. But the real answer is simple, and it's only one sentence:

Do whatever you want to do.

Law school isn't a one size fits all, and the summer before it shouldn't be either. Some people want to spend the summer before law school traveling. Others want to spend it relaxing or making money. Others start law school early to get back into the swing of going to school and studying. It all depends on what you personally want to do. For me, I just wanted a chance go relax and unwind, while also making some money. I worked as a nanny for three to four days a week and had the rest of the days to do as I please. It worked out really well for me. But for others, it wouldn't have had. Some students wanted to explore and travel the world. I have some great friends who really enjoyed their summer before law school doing so. I have other friends who took a law class over summer. They liked it as well. It all depends on what you want and what works best for you.

Don't feel like you have to do what everyone says to do for the summer before you start law school. This is very likely to be your last free summer, so make sure to spend it the way you want to. There isn't a set formula for law school, and there neither should be a formula for the summer before. Spend the next few months doing what you want and preparing for law school in the way that is best for you.

So what are your plans this summer/for the summer before you start law school? Let me know in the comments!

Comments

Popular Posts