Bodyweight Workout




I know it is not Monday, but I wanted to get last week’s posts up as soon as I could. I’ve been traveling this past week to Annapolis, Maryland, for my boyfriend’s graduation from the U.S. Naval Academy. It has been a crazy week- both fun and busy, and I did not have the time- or wifi- to post this week. When travelling, I love to try to get a workout in, even if I don't have a gym to go to. Therefore, I do a bodyweight workout at the hotel or wherever I am. Here is my go to bodyweight workout:

As with any workout, make sure to warm up. It doesn’t have to be long or hard, just make sure you get your heart rate up and your body moving. Some of my favorites are walking/jogging, high knees, or jumping jacks.


Here is my go-to bodyweight workout:

Lunge Sequence-
Forward Lunge- Step forward on your right foot into a forward lunge.
Side Lunge- Then from the forward lunge, step your right foot out to the side into a side lunge.
Back Lunge- Finally, step your right foot from the side to the back into a back lunge.

Complete each sequence (forward to side to back lunge) 30 times. Then do the same movements on your left side.

Squats
After the lunge sequence, spread your legs slightly more than shoulder length apart and sit back into a squat. I don't have a set number of squats I do, but I do as many as I can (at least 25).

Jumping Squats
Jump up and land into a squat position. After landing, immediately jump up into a squat again. Do 3 sets of 10 reps.

Plank with Shoulder Taps
Get into the standard plank position (NOT an elbow plank). Tap your right hand to your left shoulder, then tap your left hand to your right shoulder. That's one rep. Do a total of 30. Try to keep the rest of your body as still as possible when tapping your shoulders (don't sway back and forth).

Plank Sequence- Hold each plank for the same amount of time.
Right Side Plank- Lay on the right side of your body and prop up on your elbow (which should be directly under your shoulder). Raise the rest of your body until it forms a straight line.
Elbow Plank- Just like a standard plank position, but your elbows and forearms should be touching the ground.
Left Side PlankLay on the left side of your body and prop up on your elbow (which should be directly under your shoulder). Raise the rest of your body until it forms a straight line.

Push Up Sequence
Standard Push Ups- In a standard plank position, move your hands so they are slightly further than shoulder width apart. Lower your body down by bending at the elbows and then extend your elbows to push your body back up. I try to do at least twenty of these. 
Triangle Push Ups- These target your triceps: With the rest of your body in the standard push up form, position your hands so a triangle is formed between them (your pointer fingers should be touching each other, and your thumbs should be touching each other as well). Lower to the floor by bending your elbows, then extend your elbows to push up. Like the other pushups, I try to do at least twenty.

Supermans
Begin lying down on your stomach. At the same time, raise your arms, legs and chest both your arms and your legs up at the same time. Once everything is raised, squeeze your lower back and chest muscles. Slowly lower your chest, arms, and legs to the floor. This is one rep. I try to do around 30 of these.

Leg Raises
To target your abs, lay on your back on the ground and extend your legs. Raise both legs at the same time until they are perpendicular to the floor. For an extra challenge, lift your lower back off of the ground when your legs are at the top. Slowly lower your legs down to the floor. Do as many of these as you can. 

Bicycles
Lay on your back on the ground and pull your navel into your back (this engages your abs). Put your arms behind your head and bring your knees into your chest and lift your shoulders off of the ground. Strengthen your leg out while twisting your chest so your right elbow touches your left knew. Switch sides. That is one rep. Do as many as you can!

Whenever I am traveling or do not have the time or motivation to go to the gym, a bodyweight workout allows me to still get a workout in. I hope you enjoy my go to bodyweight workout!

Comments

Popular Posts