Summer Reading List



Now that I am done with my 1L year, I finally have time for fun reading. I enjoy reading a lot, but during school, the last thing I want to do after reading case after case is read a book for fun. I am looking forward to having a nine-to-five internship with time to read after work. The following books are on my Must Read List for Summer 2018:

Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson- This is the book I am currently reading with my boyfriend. It is a historical nonfiction account of the sinking of the ship Lusitania, which was sunk by German submarines during World War I. My boyfriend loves the submarine aspects of the book, yet finds the story of the people on the ship boring. It's kinda funny because I am the exact opposite of him.

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins- I love fiction thriller books and figured that this would be a great book to read. I don't know too much about it, but I know that many people love it and that it is now a movie. I have not seen the movie, but if I like the book, I may decide to watch it as well.

In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware- Another fiction thriller book! This one is set at a hen party (the English equivalent of a bachelorette party). I figured that this setting would add drama to the mystery aspect making it a good read. It has been compared to Gone Girl, which I loved, so I am really looking forward to this one.

Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn- I've read this book before (multiple times) and can't wait to read it again. It is one of the most inspiring books I have ever read. It explores the struggles women around the world face- struggles of violence, the inability to receive an education, maternal mortality, etc. It then focuses on how we can work to improve conditions for women wide. A must read for anyone!

Eat Pretty: Nutrition for Beauty, Inside and Out by Jolene Hart: It's no surprise that certain foods can help your skin or hair or brain function. Jolene Hart used all of these foods to cultivate a healthy diet that can be part of your beauty routine. She includes what benefits certain foods have, when foods are in season, as well of recipes to make. I look forward to reading this book and learning how to eat a healthy diet with beauty boosting benefits. I also plan on using Jolene Hart's Eat Pretty Live Well: A Guided Journal for Nourishing Beauty, Inside and Out to keep my new meal plan on track.

Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult- Jodi Picoult is one of my favorite authors of all time. She delicately explores sensitives topics like autism, physician-assisted suicide, and flaws in our justice system delicately and with proper research. Not only does her novels make you think, they are really good reads. In her recent book, she explores racism, privilege, and prejudice. This book has great reviews, and I love the author, so this is for sure on my reading list.

The Girls Guide: Getting the hang of your whole complicated, unpredictable, impossibly amazing life by Melissa Kirsch- I've had this book for a while, but have not yet read it. It's written for post-college young women, but most of the things in it is applicable to college-aged women as well. It has advice for everything from careers to social media to spirituality. I can't wait to read this "how-to" book!

You are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life by Jen Sincero- This self help book is not mushy, but very hilarious. It looks like a great book to read to really kick up my life and live the life I want to live and to increase my confidence in myself.


What books are you looking forward to reading this summer? Let me know in the comments!


Comments

Popular Posts