Making Time to Workout



Today, I planned to post my 5k training plan. I have had some experienced runners give me their plans and am working on creating my own, based off of theirs. However, I really, really do not feel like posting about running (for those of you who don't know, I hate running and have not done it since about high school- this is why running a 5k well is so important to me). Instead, I will save my 5k training for my next fitness post, and today, I am going to write about making time to workout.

Making time to workout can be difficult at any stage in life. Lately, as we have been making the push towards finals, I have found myself with less time to workout. Or if I do have time, I find myself wanting to do anything but workout. When I do have time, but don't want to workout, I usually force myself to go and will find that I am glad I went. 

But what do I do when I have barely any time to workout?

I am a firm believer that a quick thirty minute at home workout is better than none. Chances are that you can find 20 to 30 minutes to pull out your yoga mat at home and do a workout. PopSugar Fitness has some amazing videos for all skill levels and interests. Trust me, you will break a sweat, and you will feel it the next day! Some of my favorites are 30 Minute Power Yoga Flow Workout and 30 Minute Fast Paced Pilates Workout. Some days, if I really don't have time but really need to get a workout in, I will do a quick video right before I go to bed.

That's what I do when I don't have a lot of time to workout. But how do I make sure I usually have time to workout?

Working out is pretty much my biggest stress reducer, so I get two benefits from working out: improved health and fitness and decreased stress. When I don't have time to workout, I end up feeling worse about my fitness, which then increases my stress. For these reasons, I prioritize working out. I know that everyone may not be able to or want to prioritize exercising, so I have some other suggestions that will help you make time to workout.

For starters, use working out as a break from homework. As a law student, most of my time out of class, especially on weekdays, is spent on homework. The longer I work on homework without taking a break, the less productive I am. I tend to strive to get two subjects done each night. In between subjects, I take a break to workout. By doing so, I get a workout in, and I am more productive once I come back.

While I don't do this, I know it can be a great way to make sure you have time to workout: Get up early to workout. By setting your alarm an hour earlier than normal and with the intent to work out, you are almost guaranteed to have time to workout. (Unless you are like me and snooze until the very last possible minute.)

Another way to make time to workout is to plan to workout. If you have a planner, write your workout in it. For some people, it is easier to make time to work out if they plan to workout at the same time everyday. I don't stick to a specific time, but every weeknight, I strive to go to the gym sometime between 6:30 and 9:30.

Another way to make time to work out is to reduce time spent on other activities. Maybe you watch two episodes on Netflix a night? Only watch one and give that extra time to exercising. Maybe you spend a long time at the grocery store each week because you don't know what you want? Make a list before hand. Then use the time saved at the store to go to the gym.

You can also reduce "overhead costs" of working out to increase your time to work out. Some ways to do so are to dress in workout clothes all day (especially if you are a student), so you don't have to change before you workout. If you don't have any plans for after you workout, you may not need to shower right away, which can also save overhead time. Keep a bag workout bag packed so you don't spend time getting everything together. Just grab your bag and go!

How do you make time to workout? Leave your thoughts in the comments!

In Health,

Fit Future Attorney

Comments

Popular Posts