Why I'm Going to Law School





First off, we have entered a new month and with it come some exciting changes for Fit Future Attorney! Along with new images, I have decided to change how often I post. Originally I posted every Thursday (with one random Monday thrown in) either on my life as a soon-to-be law student or a fitness post. From now on, I will still post every Thursday, but it will always be a "law school" post. I will post every other Monday, and my Monday posts will cover a fitness topic. Fitness topics will range from workouts to stress relief to healthy meals to mental health and everything in between. I am super excited about these changes and hope you are too! Also, make sure to follow my blog with Bloglovin!

With law school FAST approaching, I recently received my class schedule and book list. Today, I received an email from a professor outlining all of our assignments for the first two classes (there is a lot). Everything is finally becoming real. While it can be easy to become overwhelmed, stressed, and anxious, I told myself to step back and look at the big picture, the reason why I am going to law school. I mentioned part of it in my personal statement, but I want to share it here with you.

Growing up (and still today), I was a creative person. I loved doing crafts, drawing, and especially dancing. Because of my creativity, I thought I should be a designer of some sort, specifically a fashion designer or interior designer. But something just felt off about these potential careers; I did not know why, but I knew I was not called to pursue these careers. In 7th grade, my class studied the legal system and participated in a mock trial. Being the tenacious overachiever I was, I wanted to be one of the attorneys SO bad. And my teacher selected me as one of the two prosecuting attorneys. During that week, the other attorney and I worked tirelessly to prove that the defendant pushed our client down the stairs. When the verdict came in, we discovered just how hard a prosecuting attorney's job could be. Even though we lost the trial, that day I won; that day I discovered what I had been called to do.

Ever since that day, I set my sights and actions on law school and a legal career. I graduated from middle school as the salutatorian, second only to my best friend who starts medical school this year. I took all of the law related classes I could in high school, accumulated 39 college credit hours while in high school, and chose to go to a college that provided great pre-law resources. I graduated from college in three years and took logic classes unrelated to my major just to get a head start on studying for the LSAT. I joined a pre-law club and always put my academics first. Finally, it paid off when I received my first law school acceptance letter.

So why do I want to be an attorney? I love people and want to help them. I want to make a difference in people's life and help them during some of hardest things life will throw at them. When others are putting them down, I want to lift them up. Yes, there are other ways I could do this, but my skills, knowledge, and passions best align with a legal career. I love history, and that's what many court cases are, so I cannot wait to study them. I have a good sense of reasoning and often see what others miss. But I still need that human connection in my professional career. I need to make a positive difference in the lives of others. Although I do not know what area of law I want to go into (I have it narrowed down to two or three), I do know one thing: these next three years will be incredibly tough, but unbelievably worth it. My dreams are finally coming true.

Comments

  1. Kelsey, that is such a beautiful reason to become an attorney! It's great to hear your intentions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it doesn't show my name ~ it's me, your cuz Kristen!

      Delete
    2. Hi!! I'm so glad you found my blog!! Hope you are doing well

      Delete
    3. You too, sweetie! Sounds like it's going well for you! I'm having a great time in Philly. Been doing a ton of reading for my class that starts this weekend. Blessings!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts