Conquering the LSAT




September’s LSAT is coming up soon, with just over two weeks left until the big day. I’m sure that many law school applicants are feeling the stress of this monumental exam. Regardless of if this is your first or third time taking it, there is a very likely chance that this is the score you will apply to law schools with. For some, you might have taken the LSAT before, but want to bump up your score by a few points to increase your chances of acceptance. For others, this is your first, and hopefully last, LSAT. Either way I have compiled a list of tips to help you conquer the LSAT.

Know what to expect- Going in blind is usually not the best way to approach any exam. Even if this is your plan, it’s not too late to gain some knowledge about the LSAT and brush up on some test taking techniques. If you want a more general guide of what to expect, please see my post on Taking the LSAT.

Don’t stress too much the week before the exam- If you have prepared correctly, you shouldn’t be learning new information the final week. Take this time to relax, review strategies, and be confident in your previous studying.

Don’t take any section as a joke- This may seem obvious, but I have heard stories of LSAT takers not completing the writing section. Even though it is not calculated into your score, law schools still look at your writing sample. Answer the prompt, finish the section, and treat it like it is graded.

Be comfortable with the testing room- If possible, check out the room you will be taking the LSAT in. Quick story about the first time I took the LSAT: I knew the room and assumed I didn’t need to check it out beforehand. Well, I had forgotten that the only clock was in the back of the room. During the exam, I couldn’t turn around to check my timing and did not have a watch, so it was impossible to accurately judge the time. I learned my lesson and the second time I took the LSAT, I brought a watch.
            Going off of this tip, know where you will best perform. I knew I would perform better if I could take the exam in my hometown rather than my college town. The second time I took the exam, I took it back home. Although it may be too late to change exam locations for September, this might be something to keep in mind for later exams.

The week before, take care of yourself- Know your body. If you think you are getting sick, take medicine and get extra sleep. Don’t try to pull an all-nighter the week before the LSAT, as this can mess up your body and sleep schedules. If you workout consistently, continue to do so. Make sure to get a good night’s sleep the few nights immediately before the exam.

Be physically prepared- This may also seem obvious, but make sure you bring enough pencils and erasers. Some other items you might want to bring are a watch, pencil sharpener, or tissues. Also snacks, don’t forget snacks (or water). Just make sure you leave your phone at home or in the car.

Reward yourself afterwards- Even if you walk out of the LSAT feeling not-so-great about it, you still deserve to treat yourself! You just took an exam you spent weeks (or months) preparing for. Go out, eat a special dinner, or even just have a night to yourself. There are so many things you can do to congratulate yourself on taking the LSAT, but just make sure you do something! (For me, it was coming home to watch football with my dad and dog.)


Relax! You have been studying so hard for this exam, and it will show on September 16. This may seem like the hardest thing you have ever done (and it very well may be the hardest test you’ve ever taken), but just remember that 99.9% of all law students have taken the LSAT. We know what it’s like, but more importantly, we all survived. I believe in you. Now go out and conquer the LSAT! Good luck!

Comments

  1. Wow, I am really happy that you shared these golden tips and guidelines to conquer LSAT. Trust me, it is not easy to crack this test and I know how much pressure I had for this but because of solving LSAT Sample Questions before my exam I was able to pass it with a good score.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, congrats on your score. Second, thanks for the awesome link! I mentioned lsatmax in my post on my favorite LSAT prep apps- it's a great resource!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts